W. Jacob Gardner, Jr.
Download PDF version of bio
400 Poydras Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
Telephone: (504) 523-2600
Fax: (504) 523-2705
W. Jacob Gardner, Jr. is a partner in the New Orleans office. He litigates a variety of admiralty matters including contract disputes, personal injury and death claims arising under the Jones Act and LHWCA, property damage claims, insurance and indemnity issues, collisions and allisions, arrests and attachments, limitation of liability and cargo claims.
Outside of the maritime field Mr. Gardner represents insurers and excess insurers in casualty litigation involving catastrophic personal injuries, wrongful death and property damage.
Mr. Gardner is a member of the Louisiana Bar, and is admitted to practice before all Louisiana State Courts, all Louisiana Federal Courts, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, and the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Gardner was born in Covington and resides in New Orleans. He graduated with Phi Beta Kappa and summa cum laude honors from Sewanee: the University of the South with B.A. degrees in Political Science and Spanish. He is also a graduate of the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University. He served as President of the Student Body at both Sewanee and LSU Law, and was the winner of the Robert Lee Tullis moot court competition at LSU Law.
- Admiralty and Maritime
- Maritime and Non-Maritime Personal Injury Defense
- Insurance Defense
- Casualty Litigation
- General Civil Litigation
Bars & Courts:
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- B.A., Political Science and Spanish, Sewanee: the University of the South
- J.D./B.C.L., LSU Law School
- Louisiana Bar Association
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (“SEALI”)
- Federal Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Port Director for New Orleans, SEALI, 2012 - 2013
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013 – 2016
- Recent Developments in the Fifth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits, Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, 2011
- Fifth Circuit Affirms Charter Decision, International Law Office, 2015
- Representation of "blue water" and "brown water" clients in charter party disputes, and against personal injury and property damage claims
- Representation of excess insurers against claims for catastrophic personal injuries and property damage
- Representation of offshore drilling contractors in defense and indemnity matters and against personal injury claims
- Representation of P&I Clubs in matters involving vessel arrests and attachments
- Representation of P&I Clubs against personal injury claims arising from exposure to asbestos
- Representation of insurers against personal injury claims pursuant to the LHWCA and Defense Base Act
- Representation of trucking interests against automobile liability claims
- Representation of pipeline operators in claims to recover damages caused by vessel strikes