Luis E. Llamas
Download PDF version of bio
400 Poydras Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
Main Line: (504) 523-2600
Direct Line: (504) 595-5120
Fax: (504) 523-2705
355 Alhambra Circle
Coral Gables, Florida 33134
Phone: (786) 364-8400
Fax: (786) 364-8401
Luis Llamas joined Fowler Rodriguez in August 2010. Practicing out of the firm’s New Orleans and Miami offices, Mr. Llamas concentrates his practice on admiralty, complex commercial litigation and international law. Mr. Llamas also devotes part of his practice to transactional matters involving domestic and international business, acquisitions, joint ventures, and general corporate issues.
Mr. Llamas has handled cases involving marine casualties, products liability, unfair trade practices, non-compete agreements, breach of contract, transportation law, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) and Latin America. He has litigated cases before state and federal courts as well arbitrations before the ICC (International Chamber of Commerce) and ICSID (International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes).
Mr. Llamas has extensive experience prosecuting and defending covenants not to compete and unfair competition claims. He has obtained injunctions to prevent breach of non-compete agreements, employee raiding, unfair competition and the use or disclosure of trade secrets. He counsels management on how to keep and retain key employees, including by the use and structuring of enforceable restrictive covenants. He also has extensive experience providing strategic advice and counsel to clients hiring key employees, including defending such clients against unfair competition claims.
In his transactional practice, Mr. Llamas regularly counsels clients in a broad range of issues and assists in navigating many of their day-to-day legal challenges. His practice involves the representation of domestic and multinational companies, family offices, and entrepreneurs.
Mr. Llamas regularly lectures and advises clients on U.S.-Cuba relations, specifically changes in Export Administration Regulations administered by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (“BIS”) and the Cuban Assets Control Regulations administered by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”).
Mr. Llamas is fluent in Spanish.
- Complex Commercial Litigation/Arbitration
- International Law
- Maritime Law
- Various Transactional Matters
Bars & Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeal for the Fifth Circuit
- Florida International University, J.D.
- Loyola University New Orleans, B.A. in Marketing, cum laude
- American Bar Association; International Section
- Louisiana Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Hispanic Lawyers Association of Louisiana
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Belen Jesuit Alumni Lawyers Association
- MavPac, Founder, New Orleans Charter
- 2017 Top 40 Under 40, MavPAC Award Recipient
- 2017 CityBusiness Leader in Law
- 2016 New Orleans Top Lawyer, International Arbitration
- Author: Cuba: Trade And Commercial Considerations, Southern Admiralty Law Institute, 2016 Program Publication
- Guest Presenter: WDSU Documentary: Chronicle: The Cuban Evolution
- Guest Presenter: IFFCBANO, 2015 Annual Business Symposium, Navigating the Changing Tides: Cuba