Reginald M. Hayden, Jr.
Download PDF version of bio
355 Alhambra Circle
Coral Gables, Florida 33134
Phone: (786) 364-8400
Fax: (786) 364-8401
Reginald Hayden is a partner in the Fowler Rodriguez Miami office. He is the former managing partner and founder of the Law Offices of Hayden, Milliken & Boeringer, P.A., which merged operations with Fowler Rodriguez in Fall 2014. He focuses his practice in admiralty and maritime law, including insured and non-insured matters. He handles personal injury matters for the industry and has handled issues including passengers, crew, longshoremen, repairers, and shoreside workers. He also handles property damage and loss, hull losses, collisions, environmental matters, various marine commercial matters, including charter party and other contractual disputes. His practice includes administrative penalties and insurance coverage issues.
He also hanldes general commercial, litigation and transactional issues for clients. His practice also includes drafting bills of lading, charter parties, agency agreements, passenger contracts, employment contracts, leases, and other commercial agreements. He defends shipowners/operators/ insurers with respect to a variety of natural resource claims including damage to coral reefs, sea grass, and damages arising from oil spills and waste discharges. He is also frequently called upon to supervise litigation outside the State of Florida; in the United States, the Caribbean, and Latin America.
His clients include insurers, corporations, and individuals in or related to the maritime industry. He represents domestic and foreign insurers which include hull and machinery underwriters, protection and indemnity clubs, fixed premium facilities, charterers liability insurers, cargo insurers, yacht underwriters, marine operators/ship repairers insurers. He has represented ship owners, ship operators, ship managers, charterers, terminal operators, recovery agents, and overseas law firms.
He is also an AAA Arbitrator.
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Arbitration Proceedings
- The Florida Bar, 1966
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- United States Merchant Marine Academy (King’s Point), B.S., 1960
- University of Miami, J.D., 1966
Professional Associations and Organizations:
- The Florida Bar
- Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee (Vice-Chair, 1992)
- Miami-Dade County Bar (Chairman of Professional Arbitration Committee, 1983)
- American Bar Association (Tort and Insurance Practice Section)
- The Federal Bar
- The Maritime Law Association of the United States (Executive Committee, Comité Maritime International Committee, Cruise and Passenger Ship Committee, Past Chairman)
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (Past Director)
- American Arbitration Association; Propeller Club of the United States (Miami and Tampa Chapters)
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association (Past President and Chairman of the Board)
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America - Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Special Prosecutor, The Florida Bar
- Faculty Member, Tulane Admiralty Law Institute (1999)
- National Advisory Board, Tulane Admiralty Law Institute (2005)
- Alumnus of the Year, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (2000)
- Lieutenant Commander, U.S. Naval Reserve, retired
- 2nd and 3rd officer on US merchant passenger and cargo vessels (1960-1963)
- 2nd officer on U.S. merchant vessels while attending law school (1963-1964)
- Three years navigator of the U.S.S. Thrush
- Founding Director, Miami Free Zone Corporation
- Former Corporate Secretary of Commodore Cruise Lines
- Former Director, Dadeland Bank
- Regional Director, Colonial Bank
Mr. Hayden has lectured on maritime products liability, maritime personal injury and death.